Thursday, January 8, 2015

First Post from Tyler

This post is coming from the mouth of Tyler tonight. I am just the scribe tonight so that Tyler doesn't have to spell each word out one click at a time. It was fun being with him tonight!

CURRENT (shifted with cracks)
BEFORE (Taken after the initial surgery)
On Tuesday I had an appointment with my hip doctor.  I went in expecting to see little or no change to the placement of my hip.  Unfortunately, it did shift and crack in two spots when I was trying to transfer from my wheelchair to the mat during physical therapy.  This isn't great news, but I am still staying optimistic about the outcome of the situation.  Hopefully this hip will last me at least a few years and if not, I will be looking at a hip replacement in the near future. The doctor said if I had to choose one sport to take up it should be swimming and to avoid running at all costs.

On a more positive note, yesterday I had surgery to have the pins in my left hand removed.  I arrived at 5:45 in the morning, checked in and put on one of their ridiculous gowns.  After that, the doctor came in and marked my hand for surgery and gave a few follow up instructions.  Immediately afterward I was taken in for surgery.  I woke up around 8:15 and went straightaway back to sleep.  Around 9:00 I woke back up and prepared to leave.  They enforce a 30 minute stay after surgery, so we waited it out without any complications and left by 9:45.  It was a four hour ordeal for a 15 minute surgery.  I am really glad to have the pins out though. I hope to see the left hand make progress in the next few weeks. 

After I got back from surgery I was laying in bed and the fire alarms went off.  I was pretty sure it was a drill, but a little worried since I was stuck in bed.  No one came to get me out of bed, so I figured it was just a drill.  Shortly after the cleaning lady came in and said, "I am not sure if it is real or not, but I am going to keep cleaning and get out of here".  Glad to know I am in good hands. ;)

My brother Zach had his birthday on Monday.  My whole family came to celebrate at the nursing home.  My Dad hauled in a cake he had been saving since mid-November.  They didn't have time to eat it since my accident.  We ate ice-cream and listened to music, it was a great time.  Zach was over today to play super-smash-brawl with me for a few hours.  That kid is getting good, he even beat me once and it was a hard earned win. 




 My friend Spencer visited tonight.  We had a good conversation.  It is always good to catch up with friends, so feel free to stop by anytime.  If I am asleep, just wake me up because I sleep all the time.
Thanks again for all the donations we have received so far.  It means the world to me and my family.  Your hands are helping shape my future.  Thanks for everything! 

Love, Tyler


No comments:

Post a Comment